April 24, 2010

The loss of life and potential new life - Opinions



I received some sad news last night about a lady I use to work with before I had my son.  I use to be a manager with Kmart which for the bloggers in America our Kmart is like your Targets not your Kmarts.  Anyway I found out that she had been murdered by her mentally ill partner at the age of 52.  She was always asking how you were, encouraging while I was ttcing and when I was pregnant, smile on the face most of the time but to have your life taken like that is just so sad.  See in Australia we have a huge crime rate but if you compair it say to the US or England then it's not masive although the gang violence and stabbings stats are flying through the roof at them moment, so when something like that happens it is headlines on the news.
So when I heard it on the news I didn't think anything about it, you sort of think oh here we go again but when you find out it's someone you know your heart just drops, you feel sick but I think it's more the way she was killed and that was stabbed through the neck.  I went to her Facebook page and there were all the tributes to her but there also was a picture of her and all of a sudden I found myself with tears running down my face........her poor children and more so her daughter that was there.  Her funeral was today and I know alot of my old staff members went and I wish I could of been there for them but I can't bring a 19 month old to a funeral and it was nearly 2 hrs away.


It really does get you thinking on how precious life is and how much alot of us take it for granted, but we too found that out with having a 25w prem.  They say you should live life to the fullest but sometimes life holds you back and all the material things come into it, as I'm sure to live life to the fullest money is defantly going to come into it!  I hope she is at peace now because something tells me maybe life with him wasn't that easy.  Rest In Peace E.




On another Topic I was wondering for any of you reading this and are going through IVF....If you had finished your journey and had embrio's left, what would you do with them.  Here my clinic offers, donation to other couples, donation to science or destroy them??  And the reason I ask is because htere is a topic discussion going on one of the forums that I belong too and its just interesting to gets others opinions.  Australia had a HUGE and I mean HUGE shortage for egg and sperm donations with waiting lists being over 2 yrs and now couples are flying overseas to access the sperm or egg donations.  Also surrogacy is only legal in 2 states so it's not really an option here although in this day and age it should be but our politicians are so damn behind here that religon is always bought into in although not publically.  I just don't understand how this country can be so backwards in so many things... and they call us the lucky country....pffftt.
We have 8 embrio's or frostie bubs as I call them and at this point I don't feel my journey is over as I would dearly love a 2nd child.  I think when if we do go again my FS wants to defrost all 8 and grow to day 5 (frozen at day 2 or 3) so maybe we might not have to choose as my sons cycle they defrosted 6 to get 2.  But the thought of what to do with 8 if we don't go back rips my heart out as I see them as potential children. 
In Australia you are only allowed to transfer 2 embies at a time, with over the past couple of years some clinics have dropped it to one as our twin rate went sky high and as some of you know twin IVF preg can have alot of problems and has a higher m/c rate or one dying than natural pg's.


So I'm just interested in what others have to say about it and I won't judge you and I hope others won't too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shauna said...

What terrible news about your friend! Oh my gosh, I can't imagine hearing that about someone I knew.

As for the embie question, I don't know. I'd like to think that I'd donate them.

April 24, 2010 10:14 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

my sympathy for you and your friends family. tragic.

on the embryo subject, after having the blobbies, I left the frozens on ice both mentally and physically they were my plan B should something tragic happen.

I tried to donate them to another couple. but given they were donor egg to start with it just turned into 3056 hurdles too many. I kept them on ice for another billing cycle then made the decision to do something one way or another, I tried again to donate but bzzzzzzt failed again.

They were eventually destroyed.

That was the hardest decision I've made in my entire IVF life. Young eggs proven fertility 2 made the blobbies and destroy was my only option. No science option at QFG at that point.

If I were a even a couple of years younger they'd still be on ice and I'd give anything to be able to use them myself (against medical advice) or donate them on. sometimes life is shitful in ways you don't expect.

as the blobbies grow (almost 2 now), it doesn't get easier and I do think about the embryos we destroyed. HARD decision and I think more should be said both online and at clinics about what happens if you do have success and have frozen embryos remaining.

May 20, 2010 10:46 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home